One of the least attractive results of gum disease is receding gums. Gum recession exposes your tooth roots. This not only looks unsightly, but it also causes uncomfortable dental sensitivity and makes you more prone to tooth decay. Left untreated, gingival recession can result in the loss of teeth and bone. Fortunately, we can halt this unhealthy progression with gum recession treatment in Tigard.Doctor Gregory Williams on gum recession Read Transcript
Many people who come to see us are concerned about the recession that they've experienced. In this office, we have a few different ways that we can address the recession, whether it's to try to restore the gums back to their original height or whether it's try to just prevent any future recession in that area. So if you are experiencing recession or concerned about recession, come see us. We can evaluate it and develop a treatment plan that will help you maintain your beautiful smile.
Treating gum recession will:
- Cover unsightly tooth roots, so your smile looks healthier and more attractive
- Allow you to enjoy hot and cold substances and sweets without uncomfortable sensitivity
- Make you less susceptible to cavities
- Stop progressive tissue and bone loss, preventing further dental problems
If your teeth look longer than they used to or you can see tooth roots, call us today at 503-210-9802.
We Offer Two Procedures to Address Receding Gums
To repair receding gums, Dr. Williams uses tissue taken from the palate of your mouth or another source to cover your exposed tooth roots. He’ll do so using one of two techniques: traditional gum grafting or a newer grafting technique called tunneling. He will help you determine which treatment will give you the best results.
Tunneling may be preferred as it is:
- Less Invasive – Tunneling is easier on your gums because it doesn’t involve making incisions in your tissue. Instead, Dr. Williams will use a special instrument to “tunnel” under your gums and create space for the new tissue. Unlike a traditional graft, a single stitch is used to secure the tissue.
- More Comfortable – With no incisions and just one stitch, the procedure is more comfortable. Recovery is quicker and more comfortable too, with a reduced risk of infection or other complications.
No matter which procedure you receive, we’ll numb your mouth with local anesthesia so you won’t feel a thing. We make sure receiving anesthesia is comfortable too by using a topical numbing gel first. If you’re still worried about discomfort or are nervous, you can also receive dental sedation.
For gum recession treatment in Tigard, call Gregory A. Williams, DMD at 503-210-9802.