While cavities can damage teeth, you are more likely to lose teeth to gum disease than to decay. Gum disease is the number one cause of tooth loss among adults. Studies have also linked diseased gums to health problems including diabetes, heart disease, and premature births. We look for inflammation and other signs of disease during every dental exam. If we find any, we’ll remove infection-causing bacteria to return your mouth to health.Doctor Gregory Williams on gum disease treatment Read Transcript
Gum disease is a significant problem in this country. And so in our practice, in your first exam, we look and assess the health of your gums and of your teeth. If gum disease is something that you're suffering from, we're an excellent practice to help you get back on track. We have some of the latest products and procedures that we use that we can do everything possible to help your gums be as healthy as they possibly can, and we start first with anything nonsurgical to do that. If you're experiencing gum disease, come see our office right away. We can look at your situation, and we can develop a plan that will help your gums get back to the best health possible.
Gum disease treatment in Tigard will:
- Eliminate gum pain and bleeding gums so you can brush and floss without discomfort
- Prevent receding gums and tooth loss
- Give your gums a healthy pink appearance again
- Lower your risk of conditions associated with gum disease, like diabetes and stroke
A lack of insurance shouldn’t prevent you from receiving treatment. One of the options for our membership club is for adults with gum disease. For a low monthly payment, your membership will include 3-4 perio maintenance cleanings a year.
We’ll Ensure Gum Disease Won’t Return
Gum disease is caused by harmful bacteria that gets in between your teeth and gums, creating “pockets” where even more bacteria accumulates. We offer several treatments for removing this bad bacteria, as well as treatments to help correct receding gums and other unpleasant results of the disease.
Dr. Williams may suggest:
- Scaling and Root Planing – During this deep cleaning treatment, we remove infected material from around and under your gums (scaling), then smooth out rough spots from your tooth roots (root planing) to discourage future bacteria growth.
- Iodine or Antibiotics – Applying these substances helps make your mouth less hospitable to disease-causing bacteria.
Gum disease can cause your gums to recede, exposing tooth roots. This looks unattractive, causes sensitivity, and can ultimately cause tooth loss. Depending on the extent of your recession, Dr. Williams can perform a gum graft or use tunneling, an alternative grafting technique that involves smaller incisions and less suturing.
No matter which procedures you receive, we’ll use topical numbing gel and local anesthesia to keep you comfortable. You can also choose to receive dental sedation.
For gum disease treatment in Tigard, call Gregory A. Williams, DMD at 503-210-9802.